Airports in India can be extremely chaotic, which provides
a perfect opportunity for touts, thieves and conmen.
As you would anyway, don't trust strangers and stay
alert. Also remember a few safety tips.
- Never leave your luggage, briefcase or other items
unattended. When you set them down, place them between
your feet or against your leg.
- Avoid currency exchange windows if possible or exchange
only a small amount. Do not let others see how much
currency you are carrying.
- Be wary of imposter porters or guides. Assure they
are properly uniformed or identified.
- Pre-paid taxis and auto rickshaws (3 wheelers) are
available from the airport. Use only authorized, properly
identified taxis. If you have a lot of luggage, it
is advisable to pre-book a private car transfer with
your travel representative.
- Assure all your baggage is placed inside the taxi
trunk and the lid is closed before entering the taxi.
- Don't accept an offer to share a taxi to your hotel
unless you know the individual.
- Beware of touts offering cheap accommodation or
deals. They are usually cheats and conmen.